Welcome to Tribbeck.com

STLCutter 2 - Day 1

I'd left the plans for the CNC machine with Keith, who told me that they'd made the main frame before my first day. And there it was!

Click to open a larger image Click to open a larger image

You can just about see the plan on the far left leg!

I decided that the first thing to make was the Z-axis, since this would give the separation for the Y-axis, and also it's the most complex part.

To do that, I needed to strip the router - this is the Trend T10 router:

Click to open a larger image

Removing the limit screw (front left as you look at it) allowed the base to be removed:

Click to open a larger image

And then the handles were removed:

Click to open a larger image

This is the rough layout for the Z-axis - the two 400mm long supported rails either side of the ballscrew (a fairly standard arrangement):

Click to open a larger image

The router would be mounted to those three:

Click to open a larger image Click to open a larger image

I made some plates and drilled them to take the M5 bolts (Keith's supply is not very good for small bolts - he mainly makes crop sprayers where M16+ are the normal size; I could only find button-head screws in his supply, and no washers).

Click to open a larger image

I decided to mount the router using the handle mounts - there is space underneath for a circular mount, but the locking mechanism for the shaft would need to be cut out, and it's not a nice angle, nor shape.

Click to open a larger image

This is then bolted it to the two plates off the shaft blocks (note that only two bolts have been tightened in this shot):

Click to open a larger image

The ballscrew nut would need to be attached to this as well, so I made a mounting plate for it.

Click to open a larger image

There was then a bit of an accident in the workshop (not my doing!). While cutting some steel plate, one of the guys accidentally dropped a plate onto the power feed for the machine he was using - straight through the 3-phase power cable. This only caused the fuse to go, but it meant that it was out of action, and I found the drill was no longer working (although after packing up, I found out that it had only been turned off because they thought it wasn't being used).

So that was the end of day 1 - I would've liked to have got the Z-axis ballscrew attached to the router mechanism, but that shouldn't take very long tomorrow. I hope to finish off the Z-axis tomorrow, and the day after then start on the Y-axis (which should be easier, but it is larger).

« Back to index

Updated: 2011-06-08 20:41:52 | Comments: 0 | Show comments | Add comment
© Copyright 1997-2017
Tribbeck.com / Jason Tribbeck
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.